Support for South Carolina’s Drought Response Program
CISA and the South Carolina State Climatology Office (SC SCO) initiated this project in 2017 with the overarching goal of enhancing the State’s Drought Response Program and improving drought preparedness and response.
- Developing new resources to meet demands from lawmakers, media, and general audiences for drought information. Expected products include a series of “Frequently Asked Questions” documents about how drought affects South Carolina. New informational resources can be used to support South Carolina’s drought planning and communications processes.
- Updating information in existing drought planning and management documents. CISA developed updated and expanded material for the drought section of the SC Hazard Mitigation Plan, including maps and graphics adapted from the Carolinas Precipitation Patterns & Probabilities Atlas.
- Organizing and conducting a South Carolina Drought Tabletop Exercise in September 2017. The objectives were to: identify and understand the strengths and weaknesses in the SC Drought Response Act, SC Emergency Response Plan Drought Annex, and local drought plans and procedures; improve awareness of local, state, and federal players in South Carolina's drought response; and identify key mission areas for each State Emergency Support Function.
- Collecting impacts information to document the effects of drought on South Carolina over the last two decades (1997–2017).
- Assessing approaches to drought response in the Southeast to learn about neighboring states’ drought management strategies and tools.
Resources and Related Information
Informational Materials for the 2019 South Carolina Drought Tabletop Exercise
Informational Materials for the 2017 South Carolina Drought Tabletop Exercise
- 2017 SC Drought Tabletop Exercise Executive Summary
- SC Drought Tabletop Exercise Final Report
- Drought and Water Shortages: South Carolina's Response Mechanisms, Vulnerabilities, and Needs
- SC Drought Tabletop Exercise Agenda, September 27, 2017
- South Carolina Drought Overview Presentation
- Drought Scenarios for Tabletop Exercise
- SC Drought Response Action and Tabletop Discussion Questions
- SC Drought Response Act
- SC Drought Response Emergency Operations Plan
- SC Drought Regulations
- SC Model Drought Management Plan and Ordinance
- SC Surface Water Withdrawal, Permitting Use, and Reporting Act
- SC Surface Water Withdrawal, Permitting, and Reporting Regulations
- Proposed Drought Update for the SC Hazard Mitigation Plan